Stuffed peppers for a perfect summer lunch
Stuffed peppers are one of my favorite dishes. I usually prepare it during the summer, when peppers are fresh and so tasty. You can always prepare more than you actually need and pack some in the freezer for later. It is always useful to have a ready meal if you have a busy day ahead. You will always have a smile because stuffed peppers are a perfect summer lunch.
My mother used to have frozen meals when she was employed and when my sister and I were students. I do the same and I must admit that it is really a money and time saver.
It takes about 15 minutes to prepare this meal, and 45 minutes to bake them. In one hour, you will have this delicious dish.
When you choose peppers, you should pay attention to their size. They should all be the same size. It is easier for cooking.
- 10 ripe bell peppers
- One sliced onion
- One grinded carrot
- a piece of celery root, grinded
- a small cup of rice
- 1 lb. of ground beef
- 2 tomatoes
1. Prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking and the procedure will be very easy. Use blender or multi practice for the efficiency. Slice onion, carrots and celery.
2. Put rice in a bowl and pour two glasses of warm water over it: let it rest.
3. Put some oil in a pan; when it is heated, add onion, and fry it for a while, until it becomes like glass.
4. Add carrot and celery.
5. Put grounded meat and fry it for a couple of minutes.
6. Dry rice and add it in the pan. Stir well and while it is getting fried, add spices by choice. I put a teaspoon of salt, a pinch of pepper, some red paprika. You can add some spices of your own choice.
7. Heat the oven to 430◦F.
8. Take off the tops of peppers.
9. Fill the peppers with the stuffing.
10. Close the pepper tops with a slice of tomato, or with the original pepper top. (I prefer tomatoes because it gives some softness to the meal)
11. Put the stuffed peppers in a pan.
12. Pour a glass of water over them and put them in the oven.
13. Lower the heat to 390◦F and cook them for about 45 minutes
Serve them with mashed potatoes and salad by choice.
3 Tips for the best stuffed peppers
a1: The stuffed peppers can be cooked on the stove as well as baked in the oven. It is up to you how you will cook them. I usually bake them because they seem tastier like that, but opinions are split. Cooking time is the same for both choices.
2: Instead of rice, you can use millet, which is also healthy and blends well with other ingredients.
3: Peel one big potato. Cut it roughly and put between the stuffed peppers. That way you get a side dish which goes perfectly with them.
Stuffed peppers for a perfect summer lunch!